Thursday, August 24, 2006

Creative Computing 17-08-06

Creative Computing 17-08-06:

Ableton Live – Arranging:

The arrangement window in this program is the first real source of frustration I have experienced with live. On the surface it seems to offer extensive functionality with high-level control over parameters. The problem comes with learning how to use these controls when one is used to stock standard wave and midi editors such as Cue Base and Pro Tools.

Now I understand that Live is aimed at live performance, but is that not reason enough to keep some familiarity with control devices. The limited and clunky way it handles scrolling, note entry (no scroll function for moving up and down the piano roll?), wave editing (why does the clip view show me the whole file when I’ve cut a specific section from it? It’s really annoying), I haven’t yet deduced whether or not it contains a step entry function either.

I am going to persevere with the program, and when I’m more familiar with its interface I may have to eat my own words on this very blog. So be it, maybe I just came in too early this morning……..


I call this one Warping the Rhythm! (2.6MB)


References:

Christian Haines. ‘Ableton Live’. Lecture presented at the Audio Lab, 4th floor, Schulz building, University of Adelaide. 17/08/06.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home