Thursday, May 10, 2007

Forum – Week 8 – “Tristan Louth-Robins – Masters project”

Forum – Week 8 – “Tristan Louth-Robins – Masters project”

"You know Alvin, folding your arms indicates a degree of social tension..."


Alvin Lucier and the concept of focused listening:

Not being quite the ignoramus that I once was, I had actually attended Tristan’s performance of Lucier’s “I am sitting in a room” at last years Festival and was suitably spellbound by its hypnotic nature. Hearing a little more in conjunction with Tristan’s clear-cut explanation was educational the second time round. It changed my sonic perception, once I developed an understanding of how the end result came be derived. I had previously wondered why people chose to keep performing this same piece, but the fact articulated by Lucier himself eg; “different from the room you are in now” is justification enough, for a different result will be achieved in a different space. Perhaps someone may (perhaps someone already has) one day try performing the piece using a similar room to that utilised in Lucier’s recording, but speaking different words and changing the dynamic articulation. I have yet to hear the experiment performed with the human voice using anything other than dry monotonic delivery of the original text.

The drum and bass from alpha brain waves seemed a suitable pairing as producing ultra low frequency is a desirable characteristic in many a large drum cylinder. I think the component of Tristan’s presentation that sparked my interest the most was the harmonic bowl resonator concept. There were some very guitar like harmonics extracted from the set up, and I am always looking for new ways to replicate that particular sound. I like the idea of complimenting a guitar recording with similar but unique sounds that have been derived from unusual sources, as opposed to my standard procedure of trawling through sound banks and hoping to strike it lucky.

All in all, an informative presentation and a welcome change from the pace of the last few weeks…


Reference:

Stephen Whittington. “Forum – Week 8.” Workshop presented at EMU space, Level 5, Schultz building, University of Adelaide, 10th May, 2007.

Tristan Louth-Robins. “Master of Music Project.” Student talk presented at EMU space, Level 5, Schultz building, University of Adelaide, 10th May, 2007.

4 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Blogger Luke said...

well I haven't heard a different delivery of a text in Lucier's room, but I have used Lucier's process to allow the resonance of a space to eat composed instrumental material...

http://www.users.on.net/~lukeharrald/onlinemedia/surroundings.html

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger David J Dowling said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger David J Dowling said...

This may sound like a silly question, but is the final result always the same no matter what audio you start with?

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Tristan Louth-Robins said...

That's a more like a technical question... The final result is really dependent on the resonant frequencies and physical dimensions of the room the piece is being performed in. This affects the sounding process and final result of the piece in terms of timbre and duration. Incidentally, I actually did an experiment a couple of months ago where I did a recording in one room of my house and then played it back/re-recorded in a another room which manipulated the sounding process and shaped the final outcome. But that's a divergence from your original question, I guess the short answer is: no.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home