Friday, October 20, 2006

Week 11 Forum 19th October 2006:

Week 11 Forum 19th October 2006:

Luke Harrold:

It was refreshing to have another artist talk for a change. Luke was a confident and interesting person to listen to. I would have had a more difficult time imagining what his experience at NIME 06 was like, had I not recently attended the ACMC conference here in Adelaide. It sounded like a very similar environment by comparison, just on a larger scale with a bigger budget of course.

In particular, I was very interested in the performance footage of Adachi Tomomi, who seemed to really be at the cutting edge of his craft. I am planning to explore the art of electronic sound control via real-time body movements myself over the next few years. There was a similar performance at this years ACMC conference, but it was ambient and hypnotic, rather than the excited gyrating and eccentricity offered by Tomomi.

I found it hard to imagine what a snare drum controlled by a piezo might sound like (Juan Cristonal Cerillo), but I could surmise a sonic picture of the ‘earthquake’ installation (Jean Francois Laporte) which was a brilliant, but I imagine highly expensive, concept for a sound installation. Luke seems to have luck on his side this year, receiving no less than three grants toward his PHD studies, which have enabled him to pursue this European experience of music technology. His presentation certainly gave an insight into where our studies at EMU can take us. I wonder if I’ll be able to secure a $150,000 grant to study at the GIT in the USA when I graduate…


Adachi Tomomi example (1.43 Mb .Wav file)


Reference:

Luke Harrold. ‘Artist Presentation – NIME 06’. Artist talk presented at EMU space, 5th Floor, Schulz Building, University of Adelaide, 19th October, 2006.

3 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Blogger John said...

QUOTE: "I wonder if I’ll be able to secure a $150,000 grant to study at the GIT in the USA when I graduate..."

Always the optimist, I like it!

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger DJ Reverie said...

Why stop at $150 000? Try get $1000 000..hahaha

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger David J Dowling said...

I'll ask for a cup of blood from a freshly squeezed stone while I'm at it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home