Thursday, May 31, 2007

Forum – Week 12 – “Composition vs. Improvisation”

Forum – Week 12 – “Composition vs. Improvisation

Here we see a classic example of Bush administration improv' which, interestingly, is used to obscure the result of a failed composition..


Comprovisation? Improvosition? Incomprehensible imposition?!

Where the line blurs between the two, and we can never draw a truly accurate distinction as to where one finishes and the other begins, in the case of music I pose the question: Do we really need to know or care? I often find these academic explorations into phenomena that defy rigid characterisation tedious. Given that we were discussing music today, I felt as if we could have been constructively making music (improvised or otherwise) instead of theorising about what constitutes composition or the other. If this were a political degree focused on US foreign policy for instance, and a discussion exploring the different warring tribal factions in the Congo, with a view to better understanding leading to a potential end to civil war in the country and saving life, then I would not hesitate to perceive the relevance. When it comes to music however, this kind of intense scrutiny of “what is composition?” seems a little trivial, in a troubled world that could certainly use questioning minds for a more constructive purpose.

All the same, I enjoyed hearing another example of the brilliant sitar player Dr C. Sardeshmukh. It brought back fond memories of the improvisation (or was that composition) session involving one of last year’s forum ensembles in which Dr C. challenged the group to a 45-minute duel with the C Lydian scale as his weapon of choice. Click here to view last year’s blog, which contains a link to a badly recorded audio file of the session.

The Ross Bolleter example, although exhibiting an interesting approach to piano (for ‘ruined’ piano was Ross’s description), produced repetitive and annoying results to my ears. It was the constant broken or ‘dead’ key noise that did it. Clunk, Clunk, Clunk. To me this was an unremarkable sound, one most people have probably heard from an old dilapidated piano in the past and not worthy of repetition in a purely musical context. There were some fascinating bell-like sounds resonating from certain strings that caught my attention positively, but the clunk was always lurking to spoil the moment.


Entering the world of Mr Bungle again was an appealing and frustrating affair as always. Despite my appreciation of complexity in music on many levels, I just can’t come at the seemingly random compositional approach of Mike Patton. I guess I would perceive his method to be something in the order of taking many good ideas, throwing them up in the air, and connecting them linearly, as they are picked up off the floor. To my ears, it is the sonic equivalent of forcing incompatible pieces of a jigsaw puzzle together. It seems like there’s a coherent picture in there somewhere, some areas even look stable and appealing but it lacks the overall structure that I desire from a completed work of art...


Reference:

Whittington, Steven. “Forum – Week 12 – Composition vs. Improvisation.” Workshop presented at EMU space, Level 5 Schultz building, University of Adelaide, 31st May, 2007.

Harris, David. “Forum – Week 12 – Composition vs. Improvisation.” Workshop presented at EMU space, Level 5 Schultz building, University of Adelaide, 31st May, 2007.

4 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger John said...

QUOTE: "Entering the world of Mr Bungle again was an appealing and frustrating affair as always. Despite my appreciation of complexity in music on many levels, I just can’t come at the seemingly random compositional approach of Mike Patton."

I agree. People have said to me, "How can you not like Mr. Bungle?" and it's difficult to answer I guess. Of course, I appreciate the musicianship... and for someone who is into Vai, Planet X, Dream Theater, Liquid Tension etc... you would expect it would be appealing. But I find it leaves me emotionally cold. Maybe due to the fact that the music seems to have a comical basis... the constant stylistic shifts often evoke amusement (I've noticed in forum for example). But after this novelty wears off, the music doesn't seem to serve it's purpose if there is one. Ah well, there's my rant for today.

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Luke.Digance - Eclectic I said...

I agree with the comment about the relevance of this forum. Although they stated we would be covering new ground this year, it seemed to be very close to things discussed last year while somehow remaining fairly ambiguous for first years to understand.

I love the Bungle. But don't expect people to like it. It's a required taste. I'm not saying that you have to be somehow superior (although I am) to appreciate the music, just that you either get it or you don't.

I do however get really shitty with people just saying its crap.

I'm sure you feel the same when you get wankers saying that Malmstien is crap just cause it doesn't appeal to them.

Anyone with half a brain can tell that the guy is talented. it doesn't mean the music is for everyone, but you can't say he is shit.

Any way, Did you like my essay?

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Ben said...

This isn't the appropriate place to be submitting essays Luke.

Plus you're missing a capital letter in the second to last paragraph.

36%

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger David J Dowling said...

To further Billy's justified criticism, quoting Luke Digance: "I love the Bungle. But don't expect people to like it. It's a required taste."

I believe 'acquired taste' would be the correct phrase in this context.

Further you should try to pay homage to the lord of the wankers by spelling his name correctly eg;
Malm- I taught God how to jerk off with his guitar -steen.

Just a couple of examples which appear to belie your superiority..

There was a bit of ignorant grumbling coming from the back of the room during Thursday's forum while 'Bungle was playing, but I can't say I'm above making such I'll informed stabs of criticism. I've done it in the past and will surely drop my foot in it again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home