Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Forum - Week 2 – Input and output – 02/08/2007:

Forum - Week 2 – Input and output – 02/08/2007:


After completing the underwhelming task of soldering four bits of cable together for ‘fun’, I became determined that actual fun would be the objective of my piezo experimentation. Fun always begins when one breaks a rule or two, so I started by plugging my piezo into a MAINS POWER device, that being an M-box hooked up to the ever faithful Cubase.

Here comes the pain...

Once levels were set suitably low, I began to experiment with scratching the device over various surfaces. This achieved mediocre results and in my frustration I hit the piezo with a paint stripping tool. Perhaps not surprisingly, this act of violence produced a desirably metallic kick drum-like effect that was fat and staccato at the same time, just how I like my kicks to sound. Now we were getting somewhere.

The sound of birth control?..

In the reading for this week there was mention of an American sounding concept called ‘Plasti-Dip’, which could be used for water proofing a piezo device. In lieu of this Dip, an unsuspecting prophylactic was recruited for the task. Dropping this contraption into a honey container half filled with water and blowing bubbles with a straw produced some very creepy results indeed…

And a little help from my friends...

Click here to link to online folder containing an MP3 of this weeks 40 second masterpiece.


Reference:


Collins, Nicolas. “Handmade Electronic Music: The Art of Hardware Hacking.” TF-ROUTL, 2006.

Haines, Christian. “Forum - Week 2 – Input and output.” Workshop presented at the Department of Engineering, Intermediate Practical Laboratory, University of Adelaide, 2nd August 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home