Thursday, October 25, 2007

Forum – Week 12 – Improvisation Session #2:

Forum – Week 12 – Improvisation Session #2:

Stephen mentioned that things should get a little wild....too far perhaps?

Well, doesn’t one week make a world of difference? It often seems to work out this way; whenever I have an adverse reaction to part of the course program, it tends to appease my negativity with a more satisfying result from a subsequent session. Perhaps it was the unveiling of Jake’s highly evolved creation that added a new dynamic, but it is as if some of the awkwardness of last week’s session has been resolved, and good things are happening consequently.

Despite the relative success of the first two rounds of group improv, I felt it would be beneficial to add some conventional timbre, to compliment the piano and hacked synthesiser that were harmonising together nicely. So it was that the electric guitar introduced itself to the sound scape, and in spite of cold hands and rusty technique, it felt and sounded good to play. I didn’t mind the ‘tinny’ quality of the diminutive Daphon amplifier, as it discouraged me from playing fast, therefore providing a more complimentary backdrop to the mix.

Also mentioned today was the relentlessly approaching gig at Jive, which we are all performing in. I think it should come off okay after today, and I intend to bring a couple of extra toys to add some more variety to the sonic timbre of our presentation. Until then, looking forward to no work and end of year drinks…


Reference:

Whittington, Stephen. “Forum – Week 11 – Improvisation 2.” Workshop presented at EMU space, Level 5, Schultz Building, University of Adelaide, 25th of October, 2007.

Harris, David. “Forum – Week 11 – Improvisation 2.” Workshop presented at EMU space, Level 5, Schultz Building, University of Adelaide, 25th of October, 2007.

3 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Blogger John said...

QUOTE: "but it is as if some of the awkwardness of last week’s session has been resolved, and good things are happening consequently."

Quite a dramatic change - you were not a happy camper after last week! I thought today's session was more of the same, except a stronger headache resulted afterwards. Playing my OSC-IV just doesn't cut it for me I guess.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger David J Dowling said...

Perhaps it's the interface and restrictive limits that your machine places on the way it's controlled. If volume swells and linear pitch shifting are your only options, it offers little opportunity for you to contribute to the "rhythmic" structure of a performance.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Luke.Digance - Eclectic I said...

David J Dowling said...

"Perhaps it's the interface and restrictive limits that your machine places on the way it's controlled. If volume swells and linear pitch shifting are your only options, it offers little opportunity for you to contribute to the "rhythmic" structure of a performance."

I'm in total agreement as I am facing the same sort of issue with my instrument. It was fun to begin with and I discovered some interesting timbres, not I'm bored and have done it all. With a few years of practice under my belt I might be able to create something with some more lasting versatility, but with one semester it's the best I could do.

Oh and the real reason I went to post is....

Who burns a grand piano! that is sacrilege, HERESY HERESY

*goes in corner and cries :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home