Friday, October 05, 2007

Creative Computing - Week 9 - Processing – PFFT

Creative Computing - Week 9 - Processing – PFFT:

The main interface of my phase vocoder object.

A long day of successful experimentation followed by a failed master patch sums up my creative computing task. On an individual basis, I have had an interesting experiment with the various tutorial examples of MSP’s FFT capabilities. In particular, the Crossover and Phase Vocoder patches. After testing variations of these with many samples and configurations, with varying degrees of success, it was time to integrate some of them into my main granulator patch.
Under the hood of the bpatcher..

At first I tidied up the layout and functionality of the patches interface, which was quite messy, then set about calculating the gain structure for additional audio objects. As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with the layout of my patch programming; it just…uses more than 100 percent of the computers CPU. I suspect that this may be the result of using too many signal scope-type objects for visual feedback but I’m not entirely sure at this stage.

All I can say is it’s taken way too much time, and I’ve had to record some independent phase vocoding without the granulator for your sonic scrutiny this week. The sonic result is still worth a listen, and at least displays one of the many interfaces I have created for the exercise in action..,

Click here
to link to online folder containing MP3 and Max files.


Reference:

Haines Christian. “Creative Computing - Week 9 - Processing – PFFT.” Lecture presented at Tutorial Room 408, level 4, Schultz Building, University of Adelaide, 4th of October 2007.

3 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Blogger John said...

QUOTE: "As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with the layout of my patch programming; it just…uses more than 100 percent of the computers CPU."

You would probably be welcome on the Windows Vista development team.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger David J Dowling said...

Ha! Well said. I think there is also something ironic about the way this weeks exercise consistently left me with nothing to say but "PFFFFT!".

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger weimer said...

well yeah, tutorial 26 went --PFFT-- straight over my head.

I find that my Gran Synth patch too clocks 100% CPU at the drop of a hat. interestingly, while the MSP 'adstatus cpu' objects shows 100%, the 'activity moniter' for OSX shows my CPU usage at about half.

I think I read somewhere that Max sucks with using duel-processers, and that they are fixing that up in Max 5. Speaking of which have a look at max 5 on cycling74.com - looks awesome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home