Thursday, March 27, 2008

Forum – Week 4 – Student Presentations Pt 2 – 27/03/08


B. Probert's "Granular Genesis"...

Ben Probert’s ‘Granular Genesis’ machine, created in Max MSP, was a clever and concisely programmed piece of software. As with my own creation from last year, I felt the urge to try its operation with many different sound sources and samples. Ben did well with his voice alone and gave us a wide variety of sonic outcomes in a short space of time.

Matt Mazzone’s Fresh FM pitches sound like they should be hitting the mark to my ears. Despite the poor quality of the sound file in the first piece, I felt this was the more interesting of the three. The layering was varied cleverly between sparse and dense, with impressive levels of complexity reached at certain points.

As far as Luke Digance’s ‘improvised’ presentations go, this was one of his better ones. His fringe activities of the past month show Luke to be a dynamic and enthusiastic participant in the Adelaide Arts scene – imagine how great it could be if we all worked that hard for free..

Doug Loudon
and Freddie May brought back memories of my 1st year semester 2 project in which I adopted a similar approach – check it out here.

Reference:

Whittington, Stephen. “Forum – Week 4 – Student Presentations Pt 2”. Workshop presented at EMU Space, Level 5, Schultz Building, University of Adelaide, 27th of March 2008.

4 Comments:

At 5:52 PM, Blogger John said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger John said...

I thought Ben's presentation in particular was very effective - demonstrating to non-MaxMSP users what can be achieved with it - unfortunately we weren't able to see those kinds of things last year.

On that note, given that we have each built our own instrument patches in MSP, it would be neat if we could organise a few laptops (or the Mac Mini if need be) and improvise next Thurs in our theory group, as a 3-way Max jam. Yay or nay?

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger David J Dowling said...

Aye, Ben was certainly more successful than myself in exposing the 'fun' side of Max/MSP.

The Laptop idea is fine for those with laptops I guess. Think about what it can be plugged into though. The Mac mini is probably not up to the task of running my patch (if it even has Max installed at all), and I'm adverse to lugging a G5 upstairs for a 50 minute improv :(

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger John said...

The Mac Mini should have no probs running either my patch or Bens. I guess if the logistics of the improv scenario could be worked out, then I like the idea :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home