Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Creative Computing - Week 10 - Streams(3)


The big band of the future, represented by an ironically small amount of code..

There was a particularly misleading and confusing component of the help file ‘Events7.help’ this week. Regarding something referred to as a message function, it gave a not only poorly annotated example of the \msgFunc parameter syntax, but a faulty one at that, which crashed after one or two notes, grr! I say it was misleading as the pre-example blurb gave the impression that this was the structure needed to pass information to a non default synth in an eventStreamPlayer. This is not the case, I discovered an hour later, as changing symbols such as \midinote and \db to their respective counterparts in my synth (converting values to useable form of course (.midicps etc)) worked fine.

I have embedded my Pbind/Paddp/Pseq/Pxrand/Ptuple thingy in a task so the random selection is re-executed on every repeat of the sequence. Once I got the Ptuple patch playing with my synth, I modified on of the white keys generic music makers from Events6.help to give the sequence some accompaniment. A touch of extra randomness was then added and a formidable self composing revolution was born.


Click here to link to online folder containing this weeks .rtf file and MP3 example.


Reference:

Haines, Christian. “Creative Computing – Week 10 – Streams (3).” Lecture presented at tutorial room 408, level 4, Schultz building, University of Adelaide, 22nd of May 2008.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home