Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Creative Computing - Week 8 - Streams(1):

NY, NY..

The first problem encountered this week was my previous synths being too temperamental to utilise in the stream control exercise. Solution: steal some of their working parts and make a new one. The new synth uses Saw wave Ugens in conjunction with an amplitude envelope and a RLPF. I wanted to create a stream controlling piece of code that played melodies with accompanying chords. I took the time to create Array banks of appropriate MIDI note numbers for this purpose.

Making polyphonic chords in SC is no trivial task it seems. Time has forced me to settle for chords of randomly compiled notes from the I, ii and V chords of C major of independently chosen durations. The result is a Steve Reich - New York Counterpoint-like composition that provides a surprising amount of variety for some modulated saw waves in the (vaguely) key of C.

The Synth.set method is still causing me trouble, so I shall endeavor to brush up on my knowledge on this during the week.


Click here to link to online folder containing .rtf files and an audio example of the NewYorkCounterPointerAtor.


Reference:

Haines, Christian. "Creative Computing - Week 8 - Streams(1)." Lecture presented at tutorial room 408, level 4, Schultz building, University of Adelaide, 8th of May 2008.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home