Thursday, April 03, 2008

Audio Arts – Week 5 – “Outside the square” Pt 2" - 01/04/08


Just a touch out with the Zeppelin..


First this week I have vaguely attempted to sing a major arpeggio into Pro-Tools and had the plug-in correct my appalling intonation. The result sounded better when rounded up to a major 6th and the trademark Auto-Tune sonification can be heard in all its glory.

Next I took a sample of myself singing Led Zeppelin’s “Black Dog”. The intonation was awful and I graphically corrected some of the painful spots. There were two points in which the pitch slides up or down to a note that I didn’t make. Finite use of the line tool was the key. The correction is an improvement but Auto-Tune can’t make me sound like a singer.

Lastly I tried something abstract with a line from a righteous brothers song, once again sung terribly by me. I saturated it with multiple processes of Auto-Tune in the Audio Suite domain, harshly correcting all notes to a single Bb. I then duplicated the track, duplicated the two again, and reversed the last two waveforms. Then I graphically drew exaggerated ramps in opposite directions in separate Auto-Tune plug-ins for both pairs resulting in a Grand Prix racing type sample.

Click here to link to online folder containing MP3 examlples.


Reference:

Grice, David. “Outside the square” Pt 2. Lecture presented at Studio One, Level 5, Schultz Building, University of Adelaide, 1st of April 2008.

2 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, Blogger Freddie said...

Ahh Autotune. The tool one uses when they can't sing. LOL has anyone done the Cher effect yet?

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger David J Dowling said...

Aye, apparently it's the tool to use even when one can! There's some mild Cher-esque action in my accompanying audio files, but check John Delany's blog for some thing more extreme.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home