Thursday, April 10, 2008

Forum – Week 6 – “Vicki Bennett and the Art of Sound Collage” – 10/04/08


My head is actually a collage of two giant half eaten eggs - sometimes they come apart...


Beginning classes with a touch of classic Sabbath should happen here more often, it lifted my mood immediately. I think I prefer the visual side of Vicki’s work when all is said and done though. Sound collage is an interesting way of meandering through many different styles and ideas (although Vicki chooses to focus mostly on Pop), but as I expressed in Forum today, it leaves me indifferent after the novelty factor has worn off.

I found a potentially valid point in David’s idea that she may be interested in shifting people’s unquenchable thirst for all things new by recycling music. Stephen reinforced this in pointing out the ecological benefits of such a shift in cultural attitude. What strikes me as odd about this view is that music is slowly moving away from environmentally damaging forms of distribution anyway. It’s a solid message at heart, and one worth putting out there, but to apply it to music is possibly of little benefit, and strikes me as arrogant. After all, who is Vicki to say (if indeed this is her intended projection) that all music has been done, so lets use what’s there for all eternity…hmm, food for thought.


Reference:

Forum – Week 6 – “Vicki Bennett and the Art of Sound Collage.” Workshop presented at EMU Space, Level 5 Schultz building, University of Adelaide, 10th of April 2008.

2 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Blogger Stephen said...

I wouldn't take my ecological argument too far...I'm in favour of originality, maybe though it is getting harder to be original because we are saturated with media. It might be easier to be original if you spent 10 years as a hermit without TV, Internet etc

To some extent Vicki's work is a kind of meditation on the effect of the media, and the way it fills our lives. In another way maybe it allows to listen to this largely familiar material in a new way - simply as material that can be given a new value through re-use. Hence my possibly obscure reference to Japanese gardens and the aesthetic of 'mitate' or re-use.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Davidc said...

I'd be surprised if Vicki Bennett thinks it's all been done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home