Monday, August 04, 2008

Forum – Week 1 – Semester 2, 2008: Listening in the Age of Technology.



This was an interesting opener to the semester, more so than the discussion on blogging that dominated the same timeslot in March. The subject seemed to stir views on my own experience of music, and how they have changed since I first began engaging in music making. The most dominant of thoughts provoked is the question of why I feel more connected to playing, writing and listening to my own music than that of others. It’s not that I don’t like other people’s music, or that I consider mine in anyway superior. I think it is just a matter of knowing exactly where my music has come from and understanding the decisions that led to its construction on an intimate level that others could not possibly share.

One of my shortcomings as a musician/composer is that I have partially developed an inability to ‘zoom out’ from a piece of music and appreciate the whole – as opposed to its individual parts. My brain just seems to begin dissecting on autopilot, denying me the experience that many others may appreciate. If there is an invention I would like to see emerge from the age of technology, it is one that can help me to overcome this and reap the full benefits of both sides of musical awareness.


Reference:

Whittington, Stephen. “Forum – Week 1 – Semester 2, 2008: Listening in the Age of Technology.” Workshop presented at EMU Space, Level 5, Schultz building, University of Adelaide, 31st of July 2008.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home