Monday, October 13, 2008

Forum – Week 9 – Semester 2, 2008: “Student Presentations”

All we need now is a virtual person to play it...

Ben Probert’s controversial 2nd year Max program was nice to look at, as always. Unfortunately its musical/sonic output was a little underdeveloped. I have an interest in creating self-composing or computer assisted composition software myself, so despite the simplicity of the programs music it gave me a few ideas to explore. My own programming experience thus far indicates that moving beyond simple output of a self-composing tool (as I’m sure Ben will agree) involves an exponentially increasing amount of code.

Luke Digance kept things rhythmic with his SuperColliding effort from last semester. As did my own piece on the day, it sounded a little stark. I think it’s a combination of the Bose speakers, which need extra drive to produce effective bottom end, and the recording space in EMU, which is designed to control sound, not enhance it.

I can understand why Will Revill wanted to present his impressive graphical interface from a former Max project. The lack of sound left me a little cold though. I’m glad I didn’t sign up for the collaborative game project; it sounded like a disorganised nightmare, without even a finished product for the trouble of the few hard-working individuals involved.

Jake Morris: Nice work on the BNU commercial, just watching it increased my energy level…


Reference:

Whittington Stephen. “Forum – Week 9 – Semester 2, 2008: Student Presentations.” Workshop presented at EMU space, level 5 Schultz building, University of Adelaide, 9th of October 2008.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home