Monday, September 08, 2008

Creative Computing – Week 6, Semester 2, 2008: “Physical Modelling (1)”


There were still some niggling issues with GUI control and real time updating of parameters in use this week. Once again the only answer seems to be passing arguments to a SynthDef if there are any parameters that need to be adjusted on the fly. This scenario seems a tad limiting and makes me wonder how compromising it may be to any number of situations.

The GUI integration was complicated by my own ambition a little. I wanted to use real sliders and flexi number boxes so I altered the code and extended the ‘sliderData’ variable accordingly. I’m undecided on wether I think this approach actually saves time. It seems that the time spent coding for calculating multidimensional array indexes and accessing the correct data they contain is considerable. It may look concise compared to some of my bloated efforts, but part of me thinks a long page of clearly labelled and straightforward code may be a better option in many cases. Obviously the more complex the GUI the sillier this approach becomes…


Click here to link to online folder containing SC and audio files for this week.


Reference:

Haines, Christian. “Creative Computing – Week 6, Semester 2, 2008: Physical Modelling (1).” Lecture presented at tutorial room 408, level 4, Schultz building, University of Adelaide, 4th of September 2008.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home