Friday, August 10, 2007

Creative Computing - Week 3 - Polyphony and Instancing

Creative Computing – Week 3 – Polyphony and Instancing:


An initial hurdle presented itself in Max/MSP tradition; by staring me so directly in the face that it was at least an hour before I could interpret the simplest of errors in my programming. I refer to the number following the word ‘args’ in the poly~ object above. Notice it has a decimal point? Apparently this is necessary if one whishes to create numerical values between one and zero. Stating the obvious Dave? Yes. So why can I never see these things when it counts?


Anyway, the objects for this week are sorted; my GUI is still paralysingly simplistic but I’m restraining design ambition in anticipation of future confusion and time wasting at the hands of a complicated program written for a simple problem. MSP has some strange representation of signal flow that I whish to become general and accessible knowledge before I crank the GUI complexity.

The only significant difference between my embedded patch and Christian’s example on Thursday is the inclusion of some extra inputs. I wanted to retain the possibility of a sig~ object being easily inserted into the signal path of cycle~ or phasor~, thus increasing the variety of sounds that may be achieved by wave summing.


In the example patch ‘Wk 3 – Working example’ there is clearly a need for the signal amplitude outputs of the independent patches on screen to be halved, but it is demonstrated within each patch that I know how to achieve this. The example is for the purpose of demonstrating the functionality within each patch, so forgive this external oversight wont you?

Click here to link to online folder containing this week’s MSP bundle.


Reference:

Haines, Christian. “Creative Computing – Week 3 – Polyphony and Instancing.” Lecture presented at Tutorial Room 408, Level 4, Schultz Building, Thursday the 9th of August, 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home