Friday, August 17, 2007

Creative Computing – Week 4 – “Synthesis (1) - Additive, Tremolo, RM

Creative Computing – Week 4 – “Synthesis (1) - Additive, Tremolo, RM and AM”:

If this looks more complex than it should, it's because it is...

I have obviously spent too much time on this one, but you all know how it is once you start. Luckily the tutes were not too time consuming this week so most of my time was spent having fun designing a new patch and GUI.

I haven’t been successful as yet in integrating independent amplitude envelopes to all available voices in my additive synth. By the time I thought of implementing them I was already over my allocated time for the task by about two hours. The interface is a bit clunky to use at the moment as well, but I will solve this in the future by placing some universal presets inside that will give fast access to a variety of tones. As it is it takes a minute before a complex sound can be heard.

The MIDI controller keyboard integration was no problem, but I would like to incorporate a timing system that adjusts the domain of the function depending on the time between note on/off. Also, the keyboard is only really useful for selecting notes for the voices to hold at the moment – it cant play back all voices itself and change their respective pitches universally. Another job for the to do list.

Note the 'sfrecord~' object, you'll need it to output audio dumps, the argument '2' is to tell it to create 2 inputs for stereo.

Click here to link to online folder containing a Zip file of this week’s MSP files and an MP3 of some sounds the patch has made.


Reference:

Haines, Christian. “Creative Computing – Week 4 – “Synthesis (1) - Additive, Tremolo, RM and AM.” Lecture presented at Tutorial Room 408, Level 4, Schultz building, University of Adelaide, 16th of August 2007.

1 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Blogger John said...

Just cause I'm feeling in a school teacher-ish mood, could I suggest you save your Max screenshots as PNG or GIF? You will find the quality is considerably better and about 1/4 the file size required. Then again, if the JPG algorithm is your personal preference, then who am I to oppose?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home