Friday, August 15, 2008

Creative Computing – Week 3 – Semester 2, 2008: “Granular Synthesis (1)”



For our first foray into granular synthesis with SC I have decided to rework my week one GUI to fit the exercise – easier said than done. Despite being my more aesthetically pleasing GUI from SC to date, it was programmed most uneconomically and turned out to be a frustrating exercise due to many wasted hours of scrolling and searching through duplicated code. Nevertheless, I’m glad I went there as the interface lent itself to the basic premise of this approach very well. The multislider controllers sweep through the chosen sample as they are moved up and down, and as I kept the original y axis mapping of 0-1 to 4-0.25 from Christian’s patch they play at a faster rate on the left hand side and become slower as one moves to the right of the interface.

With some simple tweaking of the delay and reverb settings and trying out a variety of samples, I quickly became addicted to the sonic output of this device. There is something creepy and wonderful about butchering an audio file in this way that demands future exploration. Next week I may get a chance to implement the rest of the button/menu functions.

Click here to link to online folder containing SC.rtf file.


Reference:

Haines, Christian. “Creative Computing – Week 3 – Semester 2, 2008: Granular Synthesis (1).” Lecture presented at tutorial room 408, level 4 Schultz building, University of Adelaide, 14th of August, 2008.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Blogger John said...

Nice work on your patch this week... I opened it and was able to generate some interesting outcomes, as you've mentioned. There's that word again. Anyhow, I think there is a lot of potential to expand on this concept, essentially creating a "rack unit" of effects, or virtual synths/samplers. Come to think of it, I might pursue that idea :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home