Friday, October 17, 2008

Audio Arts – Week 10 – Semester 2, 2008: “Synopsis of My Project”

I doesn't look like much work when you put it like this...

Following Luke’s instruction to embrace and enhance the terror that is Nosferatu, I have taken an approach that works infallibly in all horror movies that adopt it. It can be described as soft, sinister, dark ambience interspersed with brutal transients to let the audience know when there is something onscreen (or about to be) that is truly menacing.

Top achieve this I have used a combination of virtual instruments (orchestral strings, piano and synth pads designed for dark ambience), and specially designed samples. The creepy undertone to Nosferatu entering the man’s room is a sample of my own voice in various breathy forms, heavily processed with an Eventide harmoniser. Other samples have been sourced from various instrument banks, online databases and more personal creations.

I believe I have been successful in creating the ‘heart jolting punches’ that one always receives from a truly suspenseful horror/thriller movie. The more I play with this genre, the more I feel it’s ‘all in the sound’ - horror films would be nothing without rumbling synthesisers, orchestral bass/percussion sections and screeching violins!

One of the most difficult problems I found was with lining up footsteps to onscreen action. There is some choppiness or ‘frame jumping’ in this cut that makes realism hard to perceive on occasion.

Reference:

Harrald, Luke. “Audio Arts – Week 10 – Semester 2, 2008: Synopsis of My Project.” Lecture presented at EMU space, level 5 Schultz building, University of Adelaide, 14th of October 2008.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home