Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Audio Arts – Week 5 - Audio Engines Analysis:

Audio Arts – Week 5 - Audio Engines Analysis:


I really would have liked to achieve all of the exercise outcomes with FMod this week, but either its first install has some bugs to overcome or I have a lot to learn. I did read a lot of the manual though so I wasn’t going in blind.


I have nevertheless created a collage of some audio manipulated within the program. The record mode seemed to work within FMod but even though it created .wav files nothing would recognise them, so I had to settle for ripping to Cubase the old fashioned way. I had some success getting sounds to spawn irregularly and implemented some over the top random pitch shifting and volume control. For a serious effort one would be much more conservative.

Trying to merge these files into one folder only brings pain..

The main drawback for me was that FMod wouldn’t let me drag and drop audio into sound definition categories or event categories without crashing. On top of this the ‘add audio effect’ feature gave me no response whenever I tried selecting it with a parameter file in the event editor – most frustrating. I have told Christian and Peter about the issues so hopefully the rest of you don’t suffer the same fate.


The files I used came from the freesound website mentioned in this weeks exercise directive. There is certainly a lot to choose from on the site, and the ‘fighting grunts’ and ‘weapon sounds’ are remarkably close to those in a Playstation one game called ‘Tenchu’. Not all are professionally recorded however. The sword sound in particular contains a lot of background noise, but you get what you pay for I guess.

Click here
to link to online folder containing this weeks MP3 result.


Reference:

Haines, Christian. “Audio Arts – Week 5 - Audio Engines Analysis.” Lecture presented at Tutorial Room 408, Level 4, Schultz building, University of Adelaide, 21st of August 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home