Monday, September 03, 2007

Creative Computing – Week 6 – Sampling (1):

Creative Computing – Week 6 – Sampling (1):

The benefits of a GUI library are starting to show, most of these features were created in previous weeks..

The challenge most often encountered with MSP programming seems to be the conflict between multiple patches producing audio signals. Mostly this occurs for me when I’m creating help files and forget to disconnect their audio outs. It is perhaps unhelpful to offer a help patch that can not be used exactly like the functional patch. However, I believe once the user becomes accustomed to switching between the two to try out different suggestions from the help file, then it should cease to be a hindrance.

Note the overwhelmingly stunning interface..

In other challenges for week 6, the poly~ version of my ‘groovestation’ only currently functions with one voice. I know this sounds like a stupid oversight when one considers the literal meaning of ‘poly’, but there is a good reason for this. When I created the GUI version of my djd-groovestation~, I embedded five buffer~ objects within it to allow each instance of the djd-groovestation~ to have some versatility as to which sample it used in the context of performance. My view is to allow for up to five samples to be loaded in each instance, preferably of the same length so the user can seamlessly switch between them.

Under the hood..

There is a problem with this approach however, I have already embedded multiple bpatchers and other objects to communicate with the five buffers and they all need to refer to the correct buffer~ name. The solution lies in the establishment of some extensive argument system to poly~, but it will require some dismantling that I have no time left for this week.

Next week I should have an opportunity to fix these niggling issues. Until then, enjoy the first audio offering from the super-ultra-mega-versatile “DJD-GROOVESTATION~!”

Click here to link to online folder containing this week’s MP3 and MSP patches.


Reference:

Haines, Christian. “Creative Computing – Week – “Sampling (1).” Lecture presented at Tutorial Room 408, Level 4, Schultz building, University of Adelaide, 30th of August 2007.

2 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Blogger Luke.Digance - Eclectic I said...

smart arse!

Seriously though, well done man. I like max I just don't have the time to dedicate myself to it that intensely if I want to pass my other classes.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger David J Dowling said...

This whole MSP patch is actually the result of a clever function of x equation performed in Sound-Grapher.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home