Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Audio Arts - Week 6 - Sound Asset Design:

Audio Arts - Week 6 - Sound Asset Design:

Finally, some definition..

Despite my initial reservations about F-Mod, I found this to be one of the most simple, straightforward and constructive tutorials I have experienced to date. I thought I was back at TAFE for a minute…

The only thing that let me down this week was the engine designer thingy with the four sliders for RPM etc; it didn’t seem to affect anything. Probably something simple I’m missing. All other sections of the chapter were very helpful, and for the first time this semester I thought to myself that game audio could actually be fun! I shall quash such hedonistic thought patterns in due course.



Why do you promise so much and deliver so little?

F-Mod does contain some very intuitive features despite its beta-feel clunkiness. I am at a loss as to why all the standard features of today’s software have been omitted (cut and paste, option drag duplicate, quick undo etc) but it’s still manageable. The 3D – 2D morphing capabilities are very effective, as is the ability to use real-world analogies like ‘yards’ (I prefer metres myself) and decibels for x-axis – y-axis placement.


The lack of F-Mod factory sounds didn’t stop me from using all the features with some trusty EMU samples. Note my far from gattling gun “kick – H H H H – snare” is not all that, but it helped me to understand the functionality of the cycle tutorial.

The ideal gun for a failed servo job..

Click here to link to online folder containing an MP3 example of this weeks effort.


Reference:

Haines, Christian. “Audio Arts - Week 6 - Sound Asset Design.” Lecture presented at Tutorial Room 408, Level 4, Schultz building, University of Adelaide, 28th of August 2007.

2 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Blogger John said...

You experienced the same thing as me, regarding the FMOD engine designer. Rename your parameter layers to lower case "rpm" and "load" then it will work.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger David J Dowling said...

Very good sir.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home