Thursday, August 30, 2007

Forum - Week 6 – Physical Computing:

Forum - Week 6 – Physical Computing:

A sign of things to come for me I'm afraid..

The underlying potential of this week’s material promises much. Unfortunately my attempts to engage the technology were marred by two separate chip failures, the second one just before I could record my proven square wave circuit. The result of this hiccup is that I couldn’t really make much sound this week, not a good sign for an aspiring musician (unless you’re Cage).

This little random player idea spat out some interesting results before the second 4093 died on me..

Still determined to salvage something concrete out of the exercises, I moved onto the square wave controlled note player. Low and behold, this required another square wave circuit to be made using the dodgy 4093 chip. Suffice to say, I couldn’t get there without working hardware, so I made a rough copy of the circuit following the ‘IMHOTEP’ instructions, so at least I understand its functionality.

And the good times just kept on rolling..

Moving right along, I came to the ‘HORUS’ voltage to MIDI control patch and circuit. As this one did not require the 4093, I managed to get it up and running. There is something organic about the way the visual sliders onscreen respond to the analogue voltage control that you are feeding them. I don’t quite understand why when only using one analogue input from the Arduino, shifting the wire to output 2, 3, 4… etc seems to retain control over the last chosen port as well as the new one. To take this discovery to the extreme, I placed it in every analogue in port for a short time and sure enough I had one pot controlling eight visual sliders on screen. Some shoddy Max programming perhaps?

Total control, mwahaha!

At least there was some success at the end of another frustrating day of defeat at the hand of technology, there is no sound file this week because, well, there was no sound…


Reference:

Haines Christian. “Forum – Week 6 – Physical Computing.” Workshop presented at the Audio Lab, Level 4, Schultz Building, University of Adelaide, 30th of August 2007.

Sebastian Tomczak. “Forum – Week 6 – Physical Computing.” Workshop presented at the Audio Lab, Level 4, Schultz Building, University of Adelaide, 30th of August 2007.

2 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger Sebastian Tomczak said...

>>> Some shoddy Max programming perhaps?

You are mistaken. This is not the case at all.

Consider this. If you are only connecting a single device or component (potentiometer, light dependent resistor) into a single analog to digital conversion pin on the Arduino, then all the other pins are left unconnected to anything.

These other pins that are not connected to anything are said to be in a 'floating' state. To some degree, they will follow along with other analog to digital conversion pins on the Arduino, simply because a small amount of signal will leak through the system.

This is the reason why the Max/MSP patch has a mute / unmute function for each analog input channel.

You can stop this situation occurring by connecting the unused analog to digital conversion pins directly to ground.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger David J Dowling said...

Thanks for the feedback, now I know what to say whenever I need a prompt reply, ha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home